4 people hospitalized, including a child, after carbon monoxide leak at Rochester hotel

By | November 5, 2023

Four people were taken to the hospital following a carbon monoxide leak at the La Quinta Inn and Suites on Canal Place SE in Rochester, fire officials said.

KSTP’s sister station in Rochester, KAAL-TV, confirmed that one of the victims was a child, although the victim’s age and condition were not available.

All four people taken to the hospital had symptoms related to acute carbon monoxide poisoning, authorities said.

According to a news release from the Rochester Fire Department, crews were called to the hotel around 11:20 a.m. for two people feeling lethargic after swimming in the pool.

When firefighters arrived, they found the hotel partially evacuated and helped the patients into the ambulance for further treatment.

Crews examined the pool area with monitors, which showed very high levels of carbon monoxide. They then secured the building’s gas supply services to prevent further leaks, officials said.

Minnesota Energy Resources was called upon to investigate the cause of the carbon monoxide leak.

Crews also used positive pressure fans to help exhaust carbon monoxide from the building.

The Rochester Fire Department reminded residents that it is important to have a working carbon monoxide detector because the gas is otherwise odorless, colorless and tasteless.

Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include headache, dizziness, weakness, stomach upset, vomiting, chest pain and confusion. If you think you have a carbon monoxide leak, call 911.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *